There’s something about a delicate dessert such as a meringue that just doesn’t go out of style. Today’s recipe showcases these elegant clouds of culinary patience dipped in rich melted chocolate because… isn’t everything better dipped in chocolate?! Not only will your guests be swooning over these dipped creations, we are taking it one step further and adding another layer of chocolatey goodness to these meringues by dropping (or piping) a heavenly bit of chocolate ganache right on top. I know, I know, we all need to settle down here!
Our dazzling hand-strung glass crystal dessert stand is the perfect match for our recipe today. Shown here in rose gold, this 10-inch wide cake stand can hold most small and standard sized cakes, desserts or décor pieces. What I love about this piece is it’s perfect for a variety of events and comes in a wide range of colors.
Chocolate Drop Clouds
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 eggs whites
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
Chocolate Ganache Drops
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons butter, cut in small pieces
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place a piece of parchment paper on a large cookie sheet. Using a cookie cutter or biscuit cutter that is approximately 2.5 inches in diameter, trace circles on parchment paper then turn paper over on the baking sheet. You’ll still be able to see the circles. Set aside.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or using a hand mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add the granulated sugar and beat on high until stiff peaks form. Slowly fold in powdered sugar until completely incorporated.
- Fill meringue mixture into a piping bag fitted with your choice tip. I used a Wilton 1M. Pipe rosettes in a circular motion following the traced circles as a guide. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes until crisp but not browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- For the chocolate base: In a small microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate chips and coconut oil and heat in 30 second increments until melted. Dip the meringues into the melted chocolate and place back on parchment paper to allow chocolate to harden.
- To make the chocolate ganache: In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat the whipping cream in the microwave for about a minute; until hot. Pour in the chocolate chips and leave it for a minute to allow the chips to start to melt.
- Then, stir mixture until chocolate chips have melted and mixture is smooth. Slowly and one piece at a time, stir in butter until smooth. Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes until thickened.
- Just before serving, spoon in or pipe small drop of ganache onto the meringue cloud.