DIY: Cactus & Watermelon Party with Free 5x7 Printable Download!
June 26, 2017
You're one in a melon!
There is no better time to throw a cactus and watermelon themed party than now! We created the perfect sweet and sour dessert table with cactus cupcakes, watermelon sour candies, and a one-of-a-kind carved watermelon cactus- complete with prickly toothpick needles! Our brightly colored pink, lime green, and teal cake stands pair perfectly in this Southwestern Fiesta. Browse the blog for pictures and directions on how to make your very own cactus and watermelon themed dessert table. Don't forget to download the free 5x7 printable!
We re-purposed tin vegetable cans as planters for our favorite, prickly cacti.
What You'll Need...
- Ribbon (added to balloons)
- Markers (for drawing thorns on balloons)
- Vegetable Cans (labels removed)
- Fresh Flowers
- Cupcake Papers: green for watermelon cupcakes and black for cactus cupcakes
- Vanilla Frosting
- Food coloring (pink and green)
- Doughnut Holes (for building frosting cacti)
- Cake Stands (lime green, pink, teal, silver)
- Sour Candies: Sour belts, Sour Patch Kids (watermelon shapes)
- Candy Jars
- Watermelon (choose a long shape for cutting into a cactus)
- Honeydew Melon (balled)
- Cantaloupe Melon (balled and cut into flower shapes for watermelon cactus)
- Tooth Picks: for cactus thorns
- Melon Baller
Watermelon and Cactus Balloons
Purchase pink and lime green balloons to make cactus and watermelon balloons.
Tape streamers to your dessert table's backdrop and hang streamers from the ends of balloons. We suggest alternating colors and twisting a few streamers to create dimension and texture.
Tape balloons together to make a watermelon (balloon order: green, pink, green). Tie pink and green streamers to the balloon ends for a festive look. Don't forget the watermelon seeds!
Use your imagination to create a fun and quirky cactus by taping several green balloons together. Add the finishing touches to your cactus masterpiece by taping pom poms to resemble cactus flowers and draw cactus thorns with a marker.
Fresh Flowers and Cacti
Re-purpose vegetable tins into planters for a sleek and industrial look.
Cactus and Watermelon Cupcakes
Quick and Easy Water Melon Cupcakes:
- Bake vanilla cupcakes in lime green baking cups
- Frost cupcakes with pink frosting
- Top with mini chocolate chips to create "watermelon seeds"
- Bake vanilla cupcakes in black baking cups
- Frost cupcakes with a thin layer of vanilla icing. This will act as the "glue" for the graham cracker "sand"
- Dip frosted cupcakes into crushed graham cracker crumbs to create "sand"
- Attach doughnut hole to the cupcake with a tooth pick. For an extra tall cactus, use two stacked doughnut holes
- Frost doughnut hole(s) with green icing. Use different piping tips to really create cacti textures
- Frost tiny pink flowers randomly around each cactus. Have fun with it!
- Stick white sprinkles in the green icing for cacti spines or thorns
Click here to see a video tutorial. Note: The video shows fondant topped cactus cupcakes. We opted for frosted cacti.
The best dessert tables incorporate an array of flavors and stay true to the theme's color palate. Place Sour Patch Watermelons in small jars to tie in the watermelon theme. To add color and texture, place Sour Belts in apothecary jars.
We added height to our dessert table by displaying the small jars on a cake stand.
Carved Watermelon Cactus
- Carve a watermelon into the shape of a cactus. Leave the bottom 1/3 of the watermelon to create a bowl
- Use a melon baller to scoop pieces of watermelon, cantaloupe, and honey dew melon to fill the watermelon bowl
- Cut pieces of cantaloupe into flower shapes to create "cactus flowers"
- Attach "cactus flowers" with tooth picks
- Stick tooth picks into the watermelon cactus create cactus spines
The Finished Look
Shop the Look: